Thursday, September 08, 2005

New Orleans worse than Love Canal?

I have a lot of posts I'm working on about Katrina. I have many questions that I hope someone in government (local, state, national) and maybe even everyday citizens can answer. But right now they are all in "draft" form.

For the moment I just want to post a link to WBUR's program "On Point" where Hugh Kaufman, Senior Policy Analyst for the EPA's Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response, does say that New Orleans is now worse than Love Canal. http://www.onpointradio.org/shows/2005/09/20050908_a_main.asp

I guess he didn't get the administration memo about not bashing oil companies or government "cooperation" with oil companies.

It is refreshing, and he'll probably get his hands slapped over it.

But then there is what Barbara Bush "said" at the Astrodome. I have the word "said" in quotes because if it's not on unedited tape/video it can rightly be contested. On video or tape one can get the correct words, phrasing and the total context. In this case someone like, oh, Pat Robertson and his assassination remark is then reported correctly without spin and in context. I do know sometimes reporters don't always jot down direct quotes but sometime get the "gist" of what someone is saying and report it as a quote. I know this because it's happened to me. (One "quote" had me using words and phrases I don't use.)

Barbara Bush: Relocation 'working very well' for poor
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/06/katrina.presidents.ap/index.html

"What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality," she said during a radio interview with the American Public Media program "Marketplace." "And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them."

Now I have always like Barbara, she reminds me a lot of my mother and grandmother, so to criticize her is rather hard but . . . For some reason that statement just strikes me as not only very odd and very out of touch, but also very privileged, and really condescending and annoying.

Added: You gotta love Ann Telnaes
http://cartoonbox.slate.com/hottopic/?image=5&topicid=5

No comments: